Skip to main content

A Constant State of Learning

One of the best things I ever did for my teaching/playing was not sign up with an orchestra; I signed up for Tai Chi instead.

When I had finished with my Bachelor's degree and my teaching was just starting to get underway, I was looking into activities that would get me out of the house. My first inclination was to check out orchestras. I figured it would be a great way to meet local musicians and network.

For several months, I looked into various adult volunteer orchestras. I talked to conductors, checked out past and present concert lists.... the works. In the process of doing this, I started really thinking about something a teacher trainer once told me about how it's important to always be in a constant state of learning.

I most definitely do not know everything there is to know about music. And being in an orchestra would have for sure put me in a state of learning. But I realized how easy it would be for me to be consumed by musical activities. Music is my job and my passion. It would take almost no effort for me to spend my entire day just completely involved with teaching and playing.

It's one thing to learn new facets of an already lifelong pursuit. It's another thing entirely to be in a situation where you are a complete beginner. I came to the conclusion that in order to prevent teaching/playing burnout, I was going to have to make a point of creating time to do hobbies that were not necessarily music related.

So I took up Tai Chi in the evenings instead of orchestra. It's been about a year now and I'm still happier than ever about my decision. For one thing, it gives me a chance to stretch and build muscles. So I can actually play for longer amounts of time and I don't feel so stiff anymore after getting up and down all day with my younger students (if you've taught young students, you know what I mean).

Another, and quite unexpected I might add, side effect of pursing my non-musical activity is that it actually made me a better teacher. The philosophies behind Tai Chi (never use force against force, learn to redirect) have helped me to cope with approaching difficult parents and/or students. I am also much more empathetic with my students, especially the adults. By putting myself in a constant state of learning and "being a beginning student," I keep my teaching self in check.

Comments

  1. I know exactly what you mean. It's easy to go towards the thing we consume all day. I always feel like I can learn more and more about the subject (music) that I already know so much about. I know I can always be better, and feel more knowledgeable. But it's in those activities where we're not experts that refuel us to in other ways, and unexpectedly help us look at the things we're already good in a different way (which helps us be better in that area). It's a crazy good cycle that keeps you on your toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus I find it's really effective for burnout prevention. I'm more enthusiastic about my teaching if I force myself to have activities where I can turn my teaching brain off.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Michiko Yurko on Music Mind Games and Sight-Reading in the Suzuki Method

Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Michiko! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your company, Music Mind Games. Hi, Danielle! I am Michiko Yurko and I am the creator of Music Mind Games, a project I have been working on for 40 years. It’s been great! Music and education were important to my parents. Although they followed different professions, my father sang and my mother played the piano. I was always supported in my music and dance lessons and related activities so I have very positive memories of those years. My mom was an elementary classroom teacher and her extraordinary devotion to her students and her creativity taught me to be innovative in my own work. Music Mind Games, LLC was founded in 2005 after Warner Bros (my publisher for nearly 20 years) was sold to Alfred. Although they believed in my work and continue to publish the book Music Mind Games, Alfred said they could not afford to produce the Music Mind Games materials. My husband, Cris and I discussed all sor...

Like Brushing Your Teeth

One of my teacher trainers told me that practicing should be like brushing your teeth. There is never a day when your tooth brushing is affected by other events in your day. The process is completely emotionally detached. I mulled over her words of wisdom for quite some time after she said them to me. What struck me the most was the suggestion of emotionally detaching myself. All my life I have been told that music is supposed to express emotion. So it was almost like it would be wrong to try and strip that away. For me, the teeth brushing example was a very interesting concept. I realized that the level of habitual repetition of that daily routine is rarely achieved in any other life areas. Dishes get put off, vacuuming, shopping for groceries.... but I always make the time to brush my teeth. Always making the time for practice? A lofty ideal indeed.

Interview with Dr. Molly Gebrian on the Neuroscience Behind Block vs. Random Practice

Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Molly! Can you tell us a little about your background in teaching and neuroscience? Thank you for inviting me to do this, Danielle! I was a Suzuki kid myself (I studied with David Einfeldt at the Hartt Suzuki Institute from the time I started at age 7), and I’ve done some Suzuki teacher training, but these days, I’m a college professor teaching at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. I’ve been teaching for about 15 years, from 4-year old beginners, all the way up through graduate students. As far as neuroscience goes, I was a double-degree student at Oberlin College and Conservatory, majoring in viola performance and neuroscience. I had no plans to continue with neuroscience (it was just something I found fascinating, that I did for fun!), but when I got to New England Conservatory of Music for grad school, something was missing. My roommate at NEC, who had also been at Oberlin with me, participated in a study at Harvard looking at musicians’ versus ...