Skip to main content

"Suzuki" vs. "Traditional" Music Lessons

One question I get asked all the time is how "Suzuki" is different from "Traditional" lessons and which is better. I think it's easiest to answer this question by breaking things down into several important points:

1) There is really no such thing as "traditional" music lessons. To say that there are would mean that someone had systemized this approach and all traditional teachers follow a uniform approach to teaching. They don't. Every music teacher is going to be different. You'll even find huge differences between Suzuki teachers and their approach has been systemized!

2) What I think people are often thinking is that Suzuki = no sight reading approach while traditional = the sight reading approach. Which is really not the case. Suzuki students are initially taught by ear but sight reading is a part of the method. This would be different from an approach where the student is taught how to play by having the sheet music placed in front of them and the teacher saying "this is an A, here's how to play an A."

3) The Suzuki books are exactly that. They are books. They are not the method. The Suzuki Method itself is an approach to teaching founded on the research of Dr. Shinichi Suzuki. In a nutshell, he did a lot of work with young children learning how to speak. He noted that every child learns their mother tongue and observed the process for how that happens. Immersion, ear training, repetition and a positive environment were all things that contributed to the child learning their language. These concepts are applied to how a young child learns a musical instrument. The books themselves are designed to pedagogically teach technique while applying these teaching concepts.

Keeping those points in mind... there's really no one right way to go about learning a musical instrument. As I already pointed out, there's going to be a lot of variation from teacher to teacher even if you're sticking to one "method" or approach. Private teaching is highly personal and a teacher has to work with what they feel comfortable doing in order to be effective. For example, some teachers love to sing and dance, others do not. Some teachers work really well with young children, others do better with adults.

What's important to keep in mind is that these variations don't necessarily make any of these teachers bad teachers. But it will make a difference in how the teacher is able to work with a student. If you are interested in music lessons, the best thing you can do is shop around and observe the teachers you're interested in in action. One thing that won't change is the fact that learning an instrument takes time. So pick a teacher that you feel like you could work with for the foreseeable future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Michiko Yurko on Music Mind Games and Sight-Reading in the Suzuki Method

Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Michiko! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your company, Music Mind Games. Hi, Danielle! I am Michiko Yurko and I am the creator of Music Mind Games, a project I have been working on for 40 years. It’s been great! Music and education were important to my parents. Although they followed different professions, my father sang and my mother played the piano. I was always supported in my music and dance lessons and related activities so I have very positive memories of those years. My mom was an elementary classroom teacher and her extraordinary devotion to her students and her creativity taught me to be innovative in my own work. Music Mind Games, LLC was founded in 2005 after Warner Bros (my publisher for nearly 20 years) was sold to Alfred. Although they believed in my work and continue to publish the book Music Mind Games, Alfred said they could not afford to produce the Music Mind Games materials. My husband, Cris and I discussed all sor...

Like Brushing Your Teeth

One of my teacher trainers told me that practicing should be like brushing your teeth. There is never a day when your tooth brushing is affected by other events in your day. The process is completely emotionally detached. I mulled over her words of wisdom for quite some time after she said them to me. What struck me the most was the suggestion of emotionally detaching myself. All my life I have been told that music is supposed to express emotion. So it was almost like it would be wrong to try and strip that away. For me, the teeth brushing example was a very interesting concept. I realized that the level of habitual repetition of that daily routine is rarely achieved in any other life areas. Dishes get put off, vacuuming, shopping for groceries.... but I always make the time to brush my teeth. Always making the time for practice? A lofty ideal indeed.

Interview with Dr. Molly Gebrian on the Neuroscience Behind Block vs. Random Practice

Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Molly! Can you tell us a little about your background in teaching and neuroscience? Thank you for inviting me to do this, Danielle! I was a Suzuki kid myself (I studied with David Einfeldt at the Hartt Suzuki Institute from the time I started at age 7), and I’ve done some Suzuki teacher training, but these days, I’m a college professor teaching at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. I’ve been teaching for about 15 years, from 4-year old beginners, all the way up through graduate students. As far as neuroscience goes, I was a double-degree student at Oberlin College and Conservatory, majoring in viola performance and neuroscience. I had no plans to continue with neuroscience (it was just something I found fascinating, that I did for fun!), but when I got to New England Conservatory of Music for grad school, something was missing. My roommate at NEC, who had also been at Oberlin with me, participated in a study at Harvard looking at musicians’ versus ...