Skip to main content

Walking Away from the Puzzle

Sometimes I think that people expect their brains to work like computers.  Like you can just plug in new information, your brain will instantly understand it and once it's in there it's in there forever.  I wish.  Unfortunately, our brains are not computers.  There's no Matrix plug where we can just suddenly learn Kung Fu.

No, our brains are more like dirt.  Note that I said dirt and not "sponge."  I feel like sponge is not a great simile for brains.  Sponges dry out but when you get them wet they instantly absorb liquid again.  Dirt doesn't work like that.  It gets dry and it gets hard.  This means that it won't actually absorb anything if too much water is introduced right away.  It repels the water.  Water must be introduced gradually and consistently.  If dirt is already moist it has an increased capacity for absorbing even more.

On a very simple level, our brains are the same.  Too much time with a certain mindset and it actually repels new information.  But, more importantly, we need to give our brains the opportunity to absorb new information.  Sometimes it's just as important to know when to stop as it is to know when to keep going.

I often give the puzzle example to my students.  It can sometimes take days to put together those crazy puzzles with hundreds of pieces.  And you inevitably get to that point where you just need that ONE piece and no matter how hard you look it's NOT THERE.  This is the point where your brain has been overloaded with too much information.

So what happens?  You go to sleep, look at the puzzle the next day with fresh eyes and voila!  You find the piece you needed in just a few seconds.  You allowed your brain time to absorb the information.  It couldn't process the shapes of all 800 pieces at once.  Even if you stared at the correct piece dozens of times your brain was too overstimulated to make the connection that it was the right shape.

The same goes for challenging passages of music.  Yes, it is good to tough it out for awhile.  But there will give to a point where your brain has processed too much and it stops absorbing new things.  So no matter how many times you try to drill the passage more and more mistakes keep popping up.

Walk away from the puzzle.

Let your brain process the information.  Do something different for a few hours or just work on a different piece.  Learning to cope with frustration is one thing but needless frustration becomes discouraging.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Michiko Yurko on Music Mind Games and Sight-Reading in the Suzuki Method

Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Michiko! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your company, Music Mind Games. Hi, Danielle! I am Michiko Yurko and I am the creator of Music Mind Games, a project I have been working on for 40 years. It’s been great! Music and education were important to my parents. Although they followed different professions, my father sang and my mother played the piano. I was always supported in my music and dance lessons and related activities so I have very positive memories of those years. My mom was an elementary classroom teacher and her extraordinary devotion to her students and her creativity taught me to be innovative in my own work. Music Mind Games, LLC was founded in 2005 after Warner Bros (my publisher for nearly 20 years) was sold to Alfred. Although they believed in my work and continue to publish the book Music Mind Games, Alfred said they could not afford to produce the Music Mind Games materials. My husband, Cris and I discussed all sor...

Like Brushing Your Teeth

One of my teacher trainers told me that practicing should be like brushing your teeth. There is never a day when your tooth brushing is affected by other events in your day. The process is completely emotionally detached. I mulled over her words of wisdom for quite some time after she said them to me. What struck me the most was the suggestion of emotionally detaching myself. All my life I have been told that music is supposed to express emotion. So it was almost like it would be wrong to try and strip that away. For me, the teeth brushing example was a very interesting concept. I realized that the level of habitual repetition of that daily routine is rarely achieved in any other life areas. Dishes get put off, vacuuming, shopping for groceries.... but I always make the time to brush my teeth. Always making the time for practice? A lofty ideal indeed.

Interview with Dr. Molly Gebrian on the Neuroscience Behind Block vs. Random Practice

Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Molly! Can you tell us a little about your background in teaching and neuroscience? Thank you for inviting me to do this, Danielle! I was a Suzuki kid myself (I studied with David Einfeldt at the Hartt Suzuki Institute from the time I started at age 7), and I’ve done some Suzuki teacher training, but these days, I’m a college professor teaching at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. I’ve been teaching for about 15 years, from 4-year old beginners, all the way up through graduate students. As far as neuroscience goes, I was a double-degree student at Oberlin College and Conservatory, majoring in viola performance and neuroscience. I had no plans to continue with neuroscience (it was just something I found fascinating, that I did for fun!), but when I got to New England Conservatory of Music for grad school, something was missing. My roommate at NEC, who had also been at Oberlin with me, participated in a study at Harvard looking at musicians’ versus ...