Skip to main content

Interview with Chris Graber on Google Groups

Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Chris! Let's start out by having you introduce yourself. Tell us about your own musical background and why you ended up becoming a Suzuki parent.

My daughter and I have been learning Suzuki violin for about two years now. As a child I was always drawn to music, but never had any formal training. Throughout the years I've played all sorts of instruments in different settings, but in a very "self taught" way.

As a past kindergarten teacher, my wife has a strong background in early childhood development. We both thought it would be good to have our children start learning instruments very early on. She had heard of the Suzuki method through the grapevine, so when our daughter was turning 6 we did a little research and found a teacher in our area. We knew that learning violin required some structure and the Suzuki method seemed to provide just that. Our teacher was open to teaching adults as well, so I thought it'd be a great opportunity for my daughter and I to share a musical experience. From there we began surrounding ourselves with everything Suzuki and violin related, making it a regular part of our lives.


In your opinion, should there be a social element to music lessons? Why or why not?

Growing up, many of my friends had piano lessons involving a weekly meeting with a teacher. Except for a few really driven individuals, a lot of them disliked learning the instrument. It seemed so isolating and devoid of fun, practicing by themselves. With the Suzuki method, and especially with me learning at the same time, there is great interaction within the parent-student-teacher triangle. The parent is there to navigate daily practices and have that special time with the child.

The icing on the cake for the children is the weekly group lessons. All that hard work during the week pays off and the children's tiny violins sing in unison. The children feed off each other and learn a tremendous amount in group class, as each child has unique skills. The parents learn a lot by listening, watching other children, and seeing how the teacher interacts with them. It is a community where the children grow up together and many go to summer camps together and play in fair performances, etc. Their solo skills are showcased at recitals, but again, the community is there surrounding them, learning and listening.

We also make it a point to regularly attend concerts. It shows us where we can go musically if we stick with it.

Some of us adult students have group jams here and there as well, it is a lot of fun.


You run your Suzuki program's parent chatroom. Tell us about that.

Parents are busy! So are teachers. And children.

I started a "private" Google Group so that local parents under a few of our teachers could talk freely about anything on their minds. Teachers and children aren't a part of the group.

My brain was filling up with many questions when we started down the Suzuki path. Some of these questions were "What do other parents do to make daily practice fun?", "Did your child have difficulty learning XYZ technique?", "Are there any kid-friendly concerts coming up?", "Does anyone want to meet at park after group class?", "Can we swap lessons on Tuesday?".

I have a computer job and have been in many other useful Google groups so it just seemed like a natural thing to do. It isn't always easy to talk to other parents in person or remember what nagging question was on our mind, we have a lot going on. Most of us, do, however, have a few minutes to read some emails.

Why bother letting the parents have a place to chat? Isn't taking the kids to music class enough?

Parents want the best for their children. Being a Suzuki parent isn't always easy, the more support you have along the way, the better. It is great to learn from other's experiences and to not feel alone. Sure, you can ask your teacher many questions and they'll have great answers, but some things only a fellow parent truly understands!


The parent chatroom seems like it could be a good resource. Is it hard to set one up? How would one go about doing that?

Setting up a Google Group is very simple, and free. There is very little overhead involved with running one. You go togroups.google.com and add a new group. You can add new members directly if you know their email addresses, or folks can request to join. There can be multiple "owners" and you choose whether to have the group public (accessible by everyone on the internet) or private. We used a private "email" type of group. Members can choose to receive individual emails, a daily digest, view on the web, etc.

Thanks, Chris!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like Brushing Your Teeth

One of my teacher trainers told me that practicing should be like brushing your teeth. There is never a day when your tooth brushing is affected by other events in your day. The process is completely emotionally detached. I mulled over her words of wisdom for quite some time after she said them to me. What struck me the most was the suggestion of emotionally detaching myself. All my life I have been told that music is supposed to express emotion. So it was almost like it would be wrong to try and strip that away. For me, the teeth brushing example was a very interesting concept. I realized that the level of habitual repetition of that daily routine is rarely achieved in any other life areas. Dishes get put off, vacuuming, shopping for groceries.... but I always make the time to brush my teeth. Always making the time for practice? A lofty ideal indeed.

The Illusion of Mastery

Dr. Molly Gebrian touched on a concept called "the illusion of mastery" in her Rethinking Genius interview.   Basically, it's what psychologists call it when you do something over and over again, giving yourself a false sense of mastery. Wait... if you do something over and over again, shouldn't it be mastered? Well, not always. The true test of mastery is internalization.  If you're still having to follow the directions for how to make chicken, you haven't mastered chicken cooking.  Mastery means that you've cooked chicken so many times you're no longer worried about the basics.  It also means that you are confident enough in those basics that you are able to add extra elements with some degree of certainty.  For example, you know how the chicken should be cooked even after adding a sauce or extra seasoning. In other words: you can complete the task under pressure. The physical and psychological leap from the practice room to the stage is th

Interview with Michiko Yurko on Music Mind Games and Sight-Reading in the Suzuki Method

Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Michiko! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your company, Music Mind Games. Hi, Danielle! I am Michiko Yurko and I am the creator of Music Mind Games, a project I have been working on for 40 years. It’s been great! Music and education were important to my parents. Although they followed different professions, my father sang and my mother played the piano. I was always supported in my music and dance lessons and related activities so I have very positive memories of those years. My mom was an elementary classroom teacher and her extraordinary devotion to her students and her creativity taught me to be innovative in my own work. Music Mind Games, LLC was founded in 2005 after Warner Bros (my publisher for nearly 20 years) was sold to Alfred. Although they believed in my work and continue to publish the book Music Mind Games, Alfred said they could not afford to produce the Music Mind Games materials. My husband, Cris and I discussed all sorts o