Skip to main content

Interview with Christine Nguyen on a Parent's Perspective of the Suzuki Method

Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Christine! Why don't you start out by introducing yourself. How long have you been a Suzuki parent, do you have any musical/teaching experience, what made you decide on a Suzuki teacher, etc...

I am a mother of three beautiful children, a science teacher and a Suzuki parent for just over 3 years. As a child, I learned the mandolin until that “stubborn” phase when I refused to practice. My parents were business people so it was up to me to practice on my own. There was no one to help me through the difficult patch I got discouraged and practice became more of a chore than a joy which led to the eventual termination of the mandolin.

When my oldest child was two and a half, I was introduced to the Suzuki method by a friend who lent me Dr. Suzuki’s book, Nurtured By Love.  Two things that left a tremendous impression were that talent can be learned with practice and diligence and that learning to play the violin well is similar to learning the mother language. I was excited that the Suzuki method allows children to begin their musical journey at a much earlier age than traditional methods. When my oldest child was two and a half, the Suzuki teachers I found all recommended to give him a little more time. However, in the mean time, we should begin listening to the Suzuki Book 1 CD.

The search for a Suzuki teacher proved more difficult than I anticipated there just wasn’t that many in my area to begin with and then they already had a full load or they did not seem to be interested in taking on really young students. Fortunately, within the following year, there was a new Suzuki teacher who joined the San Diego Suzuki School of Music and she teaches in my area. She had just graduated with a degree in music therapy, trained in Suzuki methodology, seems to like children, and so our music journey began.


Based on your experiences, is the Suzuki Method something that is completely spelled out in the method books? Or is there more to it than that?

There is a basic structure to the Suzuki Method such as the combination of private and group class, the focus on correct forms over learning new songs each week and the appreciation for “observation is learning”. The similarities between the books and my experiences end there. 

Among my top concerns had to do with the language barrier, cultural differences and each child’s unique personality. My children began violin lessons long before they understand and/or speak much English. A skillful teacher will recognize and appreciate this unique challenge entrusted upon her then develop a program that is suitable to the student. Learning music through the Suzuki Method though simple in theory but is rather a highly unique and complex dance that is choreographed by three people; the teacher, the student and the parent.


At this point it seems like you've seen the Suzuki Method in action long enough to observe how a student starts and then how technique is developed over time. One of the major criticisms of the Suzuki Method is that it basically trains robots. Teaching every child the same pieces and having them all play those same songs together stifles creativity. What is your opinion on this?

As with everything, you have to have some basic background before you can attempt to be creative. Here’s an analogy to cooking. Let’s say you have never cooked before and wanted to make beef bourguignon. You don’t just go into the kitchen and magically whipped it up. Instead, you’ll want to do a bit of research in what the ingredients are, what to do with them, in which order, then execute the dish. 

After you have done this dish a few times, the next time, you happened to miss a few ingredients. Now would be the time for you to use what you have learned and begin to make substitutions. Once you have mastered the art of substitutions, you are now able to transform a beef bourguignon dish into something that is entirely different in culture and profile, like Hayashi rice. However, the fine print here has to do with the skillfulness of the teacher to recognize and allow for some flexibility to deviate from the Suzuki Method. After all, teachers are in the business of teaching, not just training Suzuki students. 

The Suzuki Method is a mean to provide the students with solid tools they will need to become creative musicians. An example of the Suzuki Method teaching creativity is seen through the piece Long Long Ago in Book 1, then a variation of that in Book 2, and now my son is learning a third variation of that song in Jazz form. When my son reached that phase where he understood the four strings and his fingers can manipulate the strings to produce different notes, he just wanted to play around with this new found insight. Instead of redirecting him back to the Suzuki piece he was working on, together, his Suzuki teacher actually guided him to explore improvisation. In teaching, that’s what we called the “teachable moment”. 

The ultimate goal in teaching and learning is to find those teachable moments. So, his musical journey was not linear on the Suzuki highway. However, it has been enriched with side turns and detours. The bottom line, creativity comes from enriched experiences.


If a parent is looking around for a Suzuki teacher, will all trained Suzuki teachers be the same?

Not all trained Suzuki teachers will be the same. Some will adhere strictly to the Suzuki Method. Some will use the Suzuki Method but will pull in other resources to enrich the learning experience for the student. There are pros and cons to both types of teachers. In the case of the strict Suzuki teacher, pro would be you will always know exactly what is being taught and the expected outcome. A con would be your child may get bored with the expectation to perfect a certain task prior to moving on to the next. This is especially difficult for young children to understand. In the case of the deviated Suzuki teacher, you will get the best of both worlds. Your child will benefit from the Suzuki Method yet will be enriched by outside resources. However, the caution here has to do with knowing where the balance is.


To wrap things up, why don't you share how your Suzuki journey has been. Has it been a worthwhile experience? Is it something you would recommend to other parents?

Overall, our Suzuki journey has been amazing, minus the occasional refusal to practice. That proud parental moment when your child overcomes performance anxiety, walks confidently onto the stage, exudes confidence as he plays a piece that you and he had practiced together for hundreds of times; that’s what brings us to our lessons weekly and daily practice. 

There will be bumps on the road. Having had my personal practice refusals and seeing its outcome, I can identify with my child and share in his frustration and anguish when a measure sounded so good at the studio but sounded so horrible at home. For us, this journey has been more than just worthwhile; it grows to being our family tradition. 

Would I recommend to other parents? The strict Suzuki Method is not for everyone. However, with commitment and hard work, the balanced approached to Suzuki Method would be ideal for just about anyone looking to learn a new instrument.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like Brushing Your Teeth

One of my teacher trainers told me that practicing should be like brushing your teeth. There is never a day when your tooth brushing is affected by other events in your day. The process is completely emotionally detached. I mulled over her words of wisdom for quite some time after she said them to me. What struck me the most was the suggestion of emotionally detaching myself. All my life I have been told that music is supposed to express emotion. So it was almost like it would be wrong to try and strip that away. For me, the teeth brushing example was a very interesting concept. I realized that the level of habitual repetition of that daily routine is rarely achieved in any other life areas. Dishes get put off, vacuuming, shopping for groceries.... but I always make the time to brush my teeth. Always making the time for practice? A lofty ideal indeed.

The Illusion of Mastery

Dr. Molly Gebrian touched on a concept called "the illusion of mastery" in her Rethinking Genius interview.   Basically, it's what psychologists call it when you do something over and over again, giving yourself a false sense of mastery. Wait... if you do something over and over again, shouldn't it be mastered? Well, not always. The true test of mastery is internalization.  If you're still having to follow the directions for how to make chicken, you haven't mastered chicken cooking.  Mastery means that you've cooked chicken so many times you're no longer worried about the basics.  It also means that you are confident enough in those basics that you are able to add extra elements with some degree of certainty.  For example, you know how the chicken should be cooked even after adding a sauce or extra seasoning. In other words: you can complete the task under pressure. The physical and psychological leap from the practice room to the stage is th

Interview with Michiko Yurko on Music Mind Games and Sight-Reading in the Suzuki Method

Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Michiko! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your company, Music Mind Games. Hi, Danielle! I am Michiko Yurko and I am the creator of Music Mind Games, a project I have been working on for 40 years. It’s been great! Music and education were important to my parents. Although they followed different professions, my father sang and my mother played the piano. I was always supported in my music and dance lessons and related activities so I have very positive memories of those years. My mom was an elementary classroom teacher and her extraordinary devotion to her students and her creativity taught me to be innovative in my own work. Music Mind Games, LLC was founded in 2005 after Warner Bros (my publisher for nearly 20 years) was sold to Alfred. Although they believed in my work and continue to publish the book Music Mind Games, Alfred said they could not afford to produce the Music Mind Games materials. My husband, Cris and I discussed all sorts o