Skip to main content

Interview with Renata Bratt on Alternative Playing Styles





Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Renata! Why don't you start out by telling us about yourself and what kind of teaching background you have.

I’ve been teaching since I finished my undergraduate work at Pomona College in Claremont. For a while I was the “regular” cello teacher at the Claremont Community Music School and Rick Mooney (a registered teacher trainer with the Suzuki Association of the Americas) was the Suzuki cello teacher. I was fortunate to be living in Claremont for a number of years and to observe the beautiful teaching styles of the cello teachers at the National Cello Institute which is based there. I was able to take a couple of masterclass series with Margaret Rowell – a cello teacher who has been a huge influence on Suzuki style cello teaching.

Then I finished up my Master’s degree in performance from California State University at Northridge and moved down to San Diegowhere I got my Ph. D. in music from the University of California there. Directly after I finished my Ph. D. work, I started taking Suzuki training with my friend Rick Mooney, back up in Los Angeles County. I also observed a lot of lessons from a wonderful cellist named Glen Campbell who is a Suzuki cello teacher (as well as a member of the San Diego Symphony) in San Diego. We taught together for a number of years at weekly Suzuki groups at San Diego State University. Later, in San Diego, I was able to take a very fine course in performing cello using the Alexander technique from Evangeline Benedetti – a trained Alexander teacher as well as a former member of the New York Philharmonic.

I started playing with Jimmy Cheatham’s Big Band at UC San Diego – in the sax section (on the cello). That was great for sight reading – plus Mr. Cheatham would make me play improvised solos as well. I learned never to say no. Cindy Lee Berryhill, a noted singer songwriter, asked me to play in her band and I learned how to perform without music and onstage in all sorts of conditions, her songs are always wonderful, and very cello friendly. We’ve collaborated for many years now.

I became interested in jazz after I heard the Turtle Island String Quartet perform and started flying up to the San Francisco area to take lessons in jazz theory and performance from Turtle Island Quartet member, violinist David Balakrishnan. I took lessons in playing bass styles (on the cello) from jazz bassist Rob Thorsen. I lived in the Boston area for about a year and a half and took jazz lessons from violinists Evan Price and Matt Glaser as well as bassist David Hollender. I joined the International Association for Jazz Education and started teaching jazz to cellists and other string players at summer camps, as well as performing.

I moved back to California and attended Mark O’Connor’s first California summer camp, the San Diego Mark O’Connor Fiddle Conference. There I was extremely influenced by the wonderful sounds of fiddling, and started taking fiddling lessons immediately (on the cello) from guitarist Jim Lewin. I have found that the best way to learn something is to teach it, so I wrote a book on playing fiddling tunes for cello, with lots of help from my friend, the fiddler Darol Anger – from whom I learned many interesting variations of fiddle tunes. That’s “The Fiddling Cellist” which is published by Mel Bay.

I heard Irish fiddle style player (but born in Chicago) Liz Carroll perform at the first stand-alone American String Teachers Association Conference and fell in love with Celtic music. In my area (northern California) we have a very big Scottish style group called the San Francisco Scottish Fiddlers. I have attended (and later also taught at ) Scottish Fiddler Alasdair Fraser’s Valley of the Moon Scottish Fiddling Camp for many years and learned various fiddle styles (on the cello) from many teachers there. I wrote a book about that, too: Celtic Grooves for Two Cellos, published by Mel Bay. I have been very interested in accompanying all of these styles, and often write or teach about that.


Despite the fact that you've branched out from a classical background, do you still consider yourself to be a Suzuki teacher? Why or why not?

I do still consider myself a Suzuki teacher. I very much involve parents if I am teaching younger children – they are the “home” teachers. I expect my students to learn to play by ear - listening to their Suzuki CDs or their non-classical CDs. I teach in a Suzuki step-by-step way, and I firmly believe that we are educating beautiful people – not just musicians.


Why should students try alternative styles of music? Why not just focus your energy or learning one style really well?

As you can see from my story above – you just can never tell what kind of music is going to affect you deeply. I was from a very classical family, but found that many other styles reached me at a visceral level as well. Students may or may not be bitten by the classical bug. We teachers need to make sure that they find “their” music. Music needs to be a part of our whole lives – not just something to do before you enter college. Playing music by ourselves or in a group helps us find inner peace and a shared purpose.


I think most classically trained musicians - teacher and student alike - are a tiny bit scared when trying improvisation for the first time. Why do you think that is?

Making up little tunes as part of a regular practice schedule is extremely important. Teachers need to give students the freedom to play around with their instruments. This should be a direct order from the teacher. Very good classical players are afraid of “making a mistake,” so they cannot allow themselves to play little lines or phrases within a key that may be a bit aimless at first. Nobody ever woke up one day and started composing without noodling on their instrument first. Not even Mozart.


If a teacher is interested in introducing their students to different styles of music, how would you suggest they go about doing that?

First make up a list of tunes in the style for the students to purchase and download. This is a new set of listening tunes. Ideally these tunes will then be taught by the teacher. Every nuance does not need to be present from the beginning. A good outline of the tune is fun for all. My students bring me tunes from everywhere – Celtic, bluegrass, jazz, online games, movie and TV themes.. I don’t mind teaching them a simple or complex version – whichever they (or I) are ready for. I like to use a lot of back-up tracks to provide a chord and rhythm framework. Or I accompany students myself.

Next, have the student purchase a written version of the tune or style – either from your local music store or online. Learning music from the page is fun for sight-reading skills – but not so good for making the tune sound authentic. If it’s jazz, have the student get some sort of slowdown device for their computer or phone and slow down the solos. Repeating jazz solos note by note is a time honored way of learning jazz licks or phrases.


What if the student expresses interest in alternative styles to their parent? What should the parent do?

The parent should discuss this with the teacher. If your teacher is not interested in teaching this (or these) styles, then find a member of the musical community who teaches that style. That does not mean that you quit taking lessons from your current teacher – just that you start learning about the style from someone who is willing and able. Your other style teacher could easily play another instrument than you do, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t learn that style from him or her.

Thanks, Renata!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Illusion of Mastery

Dr. Molly Gebrian touched on a concept called "the illusion of mastery" in her Rethinking Genius interview.   Basically, it's what psychologists call it when you do something over and over again, giving yourself a false sense of mastery. Wait... if you do something over and over again, shouldn't it be mastered? Well, not always. The true test of mastery is internalization.  If you're still having to follow the directions for how to make chicken, you haven't mastered chicken cooking.  Mastery means that you've cooked chicken so many times you're no longer worried about the basics.  It also means that you are confident enough in those basics that you are able to add extra elements with some degree of certainty.  For example, you know how the chicken should be cooked even after adding a sauce or extra seasoning. In other words: you can complete the task under pressure. The physical and psychological leap from the practice room to the stage is th

Like Brushing Your Teeth

One of my teacher trainers told me that practicing should be like brushing your teeth. There is never a day when your tooth brushing is affected by other events in your day. The process is completely emotionally detached. I mulled over her words of wisdom for quite some time after she said them to me. What struck me the most was the suggestion of emotionally detaching myself. All my life I have been told that music is supposed to express emotion. So it was almost like it would be wrong to try and strip that away. For me, the teeth brushing example was a very interesting concept. I realized that the level of habitual repetition of that daily routine is rarely achieved in any other life areas. Dishes get put off, vacuuming, shopping for groceries.... but I always make the time to brush my teeth. Always making the time for practice? A lofty ideal indeed.

Interview with Michiko Yurko on Music Mind Games and Sight-Reading in the Suzuki Method

Welcome to Rethinking Genius, Michiko! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your company, Music Mind Games. Hi, Danielle! I am Michiko Yurko and I am the creator of Music Mind Games, a project I have been working on for 40 years. It’s been great! Music and education were important to my parents. Although they followed different professions, my father sang and my mother played the piano. I was always supported in my music and dance lessons and related activities so I have very positive memories of those years. My mom was an elementary classroom teacher and her extraordinary devotion to her students and her creativity taught me to be innovative in my own work. Music Mind Games, LLC was founded in 2005 after Warner Bros (my publisher for nearly 20 years) was sold to Alfred. Although they believed in my work and continue to publish the book Music Mind Games, Alfred said they could not afford to produce the Music Mind Games materials. My husband, Cris and I discussed all sorts o